WHAT WITNESSES HAVE SEEN AND HEARD:
* “It was a huge explosion – you could feel it in your chest.
It was chaotic. Everybody was running and screaming and just trying to get out.” – concertgoer Catherine Macfarlane told Reuters.
* “Everyone was in a huge state of panic, calling each other as some had gone to the toilet whilst this had gone off, so it was just extremely disturbing for everyone there.” – concertgoer Majid Khan said.
* “It’s shocking what happened. Just carnage everywhere. There was a good 20 to 30 of them [victims]. Some were young kids, some were disabled people.” – Andy, a father said.
* “My 2 daughters caught up in the Manchester explosion at the arena. They are thankfully safe, but I fear for others.” – Liverpool City Region metro mayor Steve Rotheram tweeted.
* “Everyone just fled. Some people were injured. We saw blood on people when we got outside. People were just running all over the place.” – concertgoer David Richardson told Manchester Evening News.
* “It almost sounded like a gunshot. That’s how I would describe it. It was very loud.” – 18-year-old Calvin Welsford told BBC.
* “The bang echoed around the foyer of the arena and people started to run. I seen (sic) people running and screaming towards one direction and then many were turning around to run back the other way.” – eyewitness Oliver Jones said.
* “We saw young girls with blood on them, everyone was screaming and people were running. There was lots of smoke.” – Sasina Akhtar told MEN.
* “Just as the lights have gone down we heard a really loud explosion… Everybody screamed. When we got out they just said ‘keep on running, keep on running’.” – Michelle Sullivan who attended the concert with her daughters aged 12 and 15 told BBC.